Thursday, January 26, 2012

Look At The Size of Those PAWS!

So today Mommy drove me and Gimme Ma'am to visit with some of the people she works with. They all thought I was quite handsome (hmmmm, they said "cute" but I know they meant handsome!) but one thing really stuck in my head. After admiring my awesome good looks they almost always said "Look at the size of those paws!". Now, I'm not self conscious of the size of my feet but boy if I was!! I think I would be afraid to walk out the door!! Look, my feet are my feet and I am hoping to grow into them. But I'm only four months old. What do you expect? Tiny Poodle paws? How could I walk? I expect that when I'm full grown I'll be around 170 pounds (that's just guesstimating). I have to have big paws to carry all that weight! I'm also a Saint Bernard! We were bred to find lost hikers in the Swiss Alps. My large feet help me walk on top of the snow (like snow shoes). So leave my feet alone!

And while I'm at it, here are some other questions that seem to constantly come up:
1) What does he eat? Food, like you do!
2) How much does he eat?  I would eat until I popped so Mommy and Daddy be sure to feed me twice a day and only enough so that I'm not hungry but I don't get fat.
3) Does he drool? Yes, I do. A properly built Saint will drool. If you find a "drool-less" Saint they are not correct!
4) Where does he sleep? Anywhere I want to! But usually in the kitchen during the day and a crate at night.


Gimme Ma'am had to put up with a whole bunch of other questions and comments. Things like:
1) He's HUGE! Well, he's a she and actually quite average sized for a Great Dane female.
2) Where's her saddle? Seriously, you think that's funny or Mommy & Daddy haven't heard that before?? <sigh>. Even I've heard it before already. Laugh Laugh! There is no saddle. It would break her back.
3) Do you call her Marmaduke? No, that would be silly.
4) Does she bite? Mommy would not have her out here if she did!

Mommy and Daddy are very active in Breed Education. We big, hairy, drooly dogs cannot live with just anyone. So Mommy makes sure that we are all well-socialized and we go as many places as we can! We stop so people can pet us and ask questions. We participate in many Meet The Breeds events. Yes, Mommy gets tired of the same silly questions sometimes. She is working on some new answers for you :-)  But we will continue to be out there so that we let people know that that cute puppy is going to be 140-180 pounds and may not be what you are looking for! Dogs are not impulse buys! Please do your research and buy from a responsible breeder. Then someday, maybe, you'll have a too-cute-for-words puppy like me!!

Alf

No comments:

Post a Comment