Friday, January 20, 2012

That T-Word Again

Hello friends! It's been another long week. Whew! Mommy and I did not go to any training on Saturday and I was actually very bummed out. I like going and playing with my friends. The training part... well, let's just say I'm still thinking about it!

However, Mommy did take Gimme someplace on Saturday and Sunday and she came home very happy Sunday afternoon! Then on Monday, she took Fox with her instead. And she came back home even happier!! Now, I like to see Mommy really happy so I had to ask Fox & Gimme what was going on. So they told me when we went to bed. What?! You didn't know we dogs talk to each other? Oh, sure we do! All the time! That doesn't mean I listen to what they have to tell me (if I did, I'd be potty trained by now. Laugh Laugh!)!

Anyway, Gimme told me that she went with Mommy and hung out at an Obedience/Rally trial for those two days. She said all that training that we do results in titles that we earn that we can put as part of our names. Gimme very proudly told me that she is now known as AKC GrCH/UKC GCH & UR01/IABCA CH Daystar Voyager Gimme Heaven RN CGC CHIC#76689. But thankfully, I can still call her Ma'am! I don't have to learn all that name (because that's a mouthful)!  Fox then said that he was also with Mommy at the same trials on Monday! Can you believe it? Fox is 7-years-old and still expected to do obedience!! But he kind of smirked at me and said "Yeah, but who spent time on Monday all day with Mom huh? Wasn't you little boy.....!!". Oh, wow. I think I get it. Anyway, Fox said he is now known as AKC/UKC/IABCA CH Glaciers Voyager Fox RN BN CGC CHIC#60062. I just call him Sir; Yes Sir!  Trekkie chimed in too. Trekkie??! My first love? She does obedience too?? Yep, she said her full name is UR02 Sleepyhollows Starstruck Voyage RN CD CGC. She actually prefers Trekkie to Ma'am so that's what I call her.

Wow. So training actually results in making Mommy happy and lots of titles. Hmmmmm, I thought, maybe I should rethink this whole training thing.

And then Monday night we went to training again, only this time we took Daddy so he could watch too. But wait. What's this??!! Son of a MilkBone!! Mommy is watching and Daddy is training with me! Holy smokes and put the box away! I didn't know Daddy did training too! OK, well, he's not as smooth as Mommy so I guess he needs some work too. Together, I know we'll do great! I want some of those titles too!!

For my non-dog show savvy friends, here is a rundown of those titles:
GrCH or GCH - These titles are earned by being beautiful. You know all those dog shows on TV? Those are dogs that have earned their Championships (CH) or the next level Grand Champion (GrCH or GCH). Mommy apparently likes to show in AKC events (American Kennel Club, the biggest and most well-known dog registry in America), UKC events (United Kennel Club, the oldest dog registry in America although not as well-known), and IABCA events (International All Breed Canine Association where you get written critiques!).
UR01 & UR02 - These are UKC Rally titles. Level 01 & Level 02.
RN - An AKC Rally title. This is the Novice (or first) level.
BN - Beginner Novice title (AKC). This one is kind of a step above Rally but it's not quite traditional obedience.
CD - Companion Dog (AKC). This is traditional obedience with off lead work and everything!
CGC - Canine Good Citizen (AKC). This one is a great title for all kinds of dogs to get! You don't even have to be purebred!! There are 10 tests you have to pass to prove you are a good dog. Many cities give discounts on licenses for this one!
CHIC - Canine Health Information Center. This one is not really a title. What is means is that the dogs have been tested per the guidelines of the breed National Club. Saint Bernards don't participate in the CHIC program which is why Trekkie doesn't have one. She has been health tested though!

There are a lot more things that humans can do with their doggy buddies including tracking and agility and OH! Just all kinds of stuff!! More information regarding Obedience, Rally, AKC, UKC, etc... will be coming in future blogs. I'm getting tired now.

But OH BOY! I want to get started! It all sounds like fun!! Later, internet friends!!

Alf

No comments:

Post a Comment